Sunday, December 13, 2009

Livin on the Edge

Let me set the scene.
I was on edge today. Perhaps it was from the weekend full of high school ministry events that wore me out. Perhaps it's me feeling the weight of my job. Perhaps it's hormones. Whatever it may be, I was on edge. Conversely, my husband was in a playful-bantering mood. Not picking up on my edginess at all.
Bless his heart, he didn't stand a chance.

I tell him what cabinet some seasoning goes in. He places it on the opposite side of the kitchen with a mischievous smile.

I grow irritated

Some other bantering happens that pushes me more to the edge

I grow more irritated and move to a different room

He brings me the glass of water that I left on the table that I didn't want to drink and playfully tells me I need to drink it.

I give death stare.

He responds "If looks could kill, I'd be a dead man right now"

I'm growing sensitive now

He teases me for leaving something else on the table

I'm getting a lump in my throat

He notices I've gone from banter mode to sensitive mode and asks why.

As any girl knows, this only causes more sensitivity. Tears start forming so I hide behind my book.

He notices tears. Tone softens. He comes into room.

This causes me to tear up more and transition to a cry

Austin kindly admits, "I'm not sure what to do with you right now."

Laughter and more tears flowing now.

We begin to talk about what was behind all the emotions. In so doing, Austin makes an observation...

"Do you realize you just went from crying to laughing and back to crying in half a second?!"

My reaction through my tears: laughing.


After some emotional vomiting and some good prayer together, all is at peace in the Conner household. Now that I'm out of the oh-so-familiar-uncontrolled-emotions (girls you know what I'm talking about- husbands you kinda do) I can look back and laugh at the exchange between us. Especially the moment where Austin was humble enough to simply admit that he had no idea what to do with his hormonal wife. To his credit, his response couldn't have been better.



No comments: